TT 101: Teaching Thinking 101 All Courses
1. An Educational Revolution
60.5 content minutes
1. Hello! Includes 1 Practicum
An introduction to the basics of the course; hear from teachers on "Why I teach?"
2. What do we mean by "thinking"?
What is thinking? What is meta-thinking? Are there types of thinking?
3. Old School vs. New School
an apple-style commercial that strikes at the basic idea behind old/new school
4. A Global Vision-Mission for learning
Learn about how your vision keeps you focused, how your mission reminds you what to do everyday, and the steps to build a culture of learning in the classroom.
2. What is Knowledge?
37.5 content minutes
1. What are the parts of smart?
"You're so smart dad." What makes us smart?
2. KI vs KIT
What is knowledge and how does it differ from Information and depend on thinking?
3. "I don't know what you mean when you say, 'think about it'."
If K=IxT, then what is the T?
4. R-remembering vs. Re-building
The difference between memorizing information and building knowledge is...tangible
5. What is meta-thinking
A tiny short film about a massively important idea--metacognition, or awareness into your own thoughts. Research shows metacognition is the key to higher achievement across all domains.
6. Meta-thinking lies at the root of the things we care about
Knowledge, compassion, grit, "non-cognitive skills," academic success...it all comes down to metacognition
7. Focusing on Fundamentals
What does it mean to focus on the "fundamentals"? It means focus on a few simple things rather than many things?
8. Building a Culture of learning: The 7 Habits of Great Teachers and Learners
What do the best teachers and learners do?
3. See IT (i.e., learn to see content (what) & structure (how) of thinking/mental models)
18.5 content minutes
1. What teachers say about the importance of Seeing IT
Hear directly from teachers about their experience getting started with these ideas.
2. DSRP random stuff Includes 1 Practicum
Learn to see DSRP all around you
3. DSRP Walk
Learn how to go on a "DSRP Walk"--an activity that's great to help you and your students see DSRP all around you.
4. Talk IT (i.e., learn to speak structurally and listen for structural understanding)
26.6 content minutes
1. What does it mean to Talk IT
Learning to language thinking is one of the things that effective teachers do
2. Thinking Grammar and Synonyms Wheel
video that shows how to use synonyms to connect to DSRP/ elements language
3. What it looks like when teachers Talk IT
Classroom footage of teachers using DSRP language embedded in their content
4. What it looks like when students Talk IT
Classroom footage of students using DSRP language embedded in their content
5. ThinkQuery: Asking better questions Includes 1 Practicum
The best way to get kids thinking is to ask meta-thinking questions
Dr. Cabrera models student's thinking post-lesson about a water question using MetaMap in this ThinkAloud that makes the thinking more visible and audible.
5. Touch IT (i.e., use the power of touch to make mental models tangible)
30.83 content minutes
1. Intro to Touch IT
ThinkBlocks are like 3-Dimensional MetaMaps, they can be used to build any idea. When you make ideas tactile, you make understanding tangible
2. ThinkBlocks introduction
An introduction to ThinkBlocks, a 3D tactile manipulative to build any ideas, from PreK to PhD
3. ThinkBlocks model I AND T
See how ThinkBlocks show us information and thinking and some ways to use them
4. ThinkBlocks Lesson Demos Includes 4 Practicums
See a bunch of lessons using ThinkBlocks
6. Map (i.e., make the mental models learned explicit)
39.11 content minutes
1. Why visual mapping works?
Visually mapping our metacognition is one of the most important things we can do for learners
2. Intro to MetaMap Platform
Trailer for MetaMap platform explaining what it does...
3. Introduction to metacognitive mapping, or MetaMaps.
Learn more about this powerful visualizing technique
4. MetaMap Tutorial
Take the MetaMap Tutorial Live
5. From Brainstorming Splats to MetaMaps
Start with something you know and transition to MetaMaps
6. MetaMap Skill-building Activities Includes 6 Practicums
Reinforce your learning of these 6 important functions
7. MetaMap Application Practice Includes 8 Practicums
practicing mapping standards, and other things
8. Optional Metamap Skill-building (FAQs)
Peruse the FAQ section to learn more of the features of MetaMap
7. Activate (i.e., tie the mental models to experiential, tactile or visual activities)
1. Why do we use activities?
A discussion about the PRIMARY purpose of all activities and examples of types of activities you can use
2. The Types of Activities on the Activation Continuum Includes 6 Practicums
How you ground and activate ideas can take many forms, but all for a single purpose
3. Activation examples
Examples of activation
4. From Abstract Concept (Map IT) to Concrete Activity (Activate IT)
What does it look like to link Map IT and Activate IT?